Ohhhh scones. Scones were always one of those things that I thought were way too difficult to make at home. But after learning how to properly make them in baking class, I realized that they really are super simple to make!
The great thing about scones is that you can make so many different flavors. This cherry and white chocolate scone with a bit of lemon zest is, like, the perfect combo in my opinion. It is sweet in nature from the scone dough and the white chocolate, it has a bit of tart from the cherry and then the acid from the lemon zest lifts the flavor a bit at the end. A flavor trifecta.
I recorded an IGtv video on how to make scones, so if you have never made them before, be sure to come find me on Instagram and watch my tutorial so that your scones turn out perfect!
PS I talked about a bench scraper in my tutorial. It’s not necessary, but definitely handy in all types of baking. Grab this one for only $4 here!
A few tips you want to be sure to do when making the scones:
- Make sure your butter is super cold. The butter chunks is what is going to make your scone nice and flaky, and if your butter starts to melt, the scones will turn out flat. I kept my butter in the fridge until I was ready to add it into the dough.
- Make sure your milk is super cold too! This will help keep the butter cold once it is added into the dough.
- Don’t over mix the dough with your hands! It can be super tempting to over handle the dough, but this will make your scones tough and we do not want tough scones.
- Don’t add the lemon zest straight into the melted chocolate. For some reason, it causes the chocolate to clump together and prevents you from getting a nice smooth drizzle on top.
This is one of those recipes that I am going to make every time I have guests. They seem really sophisticated and luxurious, a perfect treat for a guest.
Let me know how you like these scones!! I can’t wait for you to make these at home, you’re going to love them!!
Thanks so much for reading!
These cherry white chocolate scones are the perfect morning breakfast treat!
- 3 c all purpose flour
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 c dried cherries
- 1 egg
- 1 c 2% milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 c butter (cold and cut into dime size pieces)
- 1 heaping tsp lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
White Chocolate Drizzle
- 1/2 c white chocolate chips
- 1 tsp canola oil
Add all of your dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and sift together with a whisk.
Add all of your wet ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl and whisk together. Then stir in lemon zest.
Cut your butter into dime sized pieces and mix in the bowl with the dry ingredients using your hands.
Add wet ingredients to the large mixing bowl and stir with a rubber spatula until everything is well combined. Be sure not to over mix.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly. Roll dough out into a 1 inch thick round. Cut into 12 wedges, and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together 1 egg and 1 tsp of water to create an egg wash. Lightly brush the egg wash on the top of the scones. Place in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
When you remove the scones from the oven, prepare your white chocolate drizzle. Melt the chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until it is completely melted. Add in 1 tsp of canola oil and stir together.
Lightly drizzle the white chocolate over the scones and top with additional lemon zest.
Do not add the lemon zest directly to the white chocolate. Be sure to sprinkle it on top after you drizzle the chocolate
Keywords: white chocolate, cherry, lemon, lemon zest, breakfast, breakfast pastry, scone
Be sure to pin this recipe to save for later!!